Skip to main content

kaithlam patra kana kanden thozhi naan

Here I'll present the next 4 hymns from Vaaranamaayiram

THIRD STANZA
Indiran Ullitta Devar Kuzham Ellam
Vandu Irundu Ennai Magal Pesi Mandirittu
Mandirak Kodi Udutti Mana Malai
Antari Suttak Kanak Kanden Tozhi! Nan

Translation:
Indra and the other Devas gather together and make the proposal to offer me in marriage to Lord Ranganatha. Then the sambandhi-s converse with each other to agree on all arrangements. Then durga, krishna's sister, helps me wear the kuraip pudavai (the sari worn at wedding time) and I am also decorated with exquisitely smelling flower garland.

FOURTH STANZA
Narrisai Tirtham Konarndu Nani Nalgi
Parppanac Cittargal Pallar Eduttettip
Puppunaik Kannip Punidanodu En Tannaik
Kappu Nan Kattak Kanak Kanden Tozhi! Nan

Translation:
Several brahmana sreshtha-s bring holy waters from all the four directions; Brahma, periyazhvar and the sapta-rishis and vedic scholars take the tirtham that has been purified with udakasanti mantrams and sprinkle it on my head and chant asirvadam for me. I see Lord ranganatha, who stands like a sarvanga sundaran, decorated with colorful garland. I saw in my dream, my hand and His hand being tied together with kankanam.

FIFTH STANZA
Kadiroli Dipam Kalasam Udan Endi
Sadirila Ma~Ngaiyar Tam Vandu Edir Kolla
Mathuraiyar Mannan Adi Nilai Tottu E~Ngum
Adirap Pugudak Kanak Kanden Tozhi! Nan

Translation:
In my dream I saw many beautiful young girls, carrying mangala dipam-s which shine like the bright Sun and with golden kalasams. They were welcoming mathurai mannan (Kannan) who was walking with His sacred sandals on with the majesty and firmness that made the earth shake.

SIXTH STANZA
Mattalam Kotta Varisa~Ngam Ninruda
Muttudait Tamam Nirai Tazhnda Pandal Kizh
Maittunan Nambi Madhusudan Vandu Ennaik
Kaittalam Parrak Kanak Kanden Tozhi! Nan.

Translation:
Mangala vadyams were being played; conches were being blown; under the canopy that was decorated with low-lying pearl strands, Madhusudanan took my right hand into His and did panigrahanam; Oh dear sakhi! I saw this in my dream next.

I found the hymns and translations from here
By the way, the sixth stanza, 'matthalam kotta" would be printed on wedding invitation headers...
So long then..bye



Comments

Vivekanand M said…
Hey
Is this way in which all weddings take place??i mean the arrangements n such things??
Sujit said…
hey.. nice way back info.. gives pleasure in imagining those mythical weddings.. and more than that.. the flavor in the languauge makes it more beautiful..
Divya said…
Vivek>>I think so..most of the weddings have all these rituals...but the divine factor may be missing:)but still, u know something, on the wedding day, the bride and the groom are personified as Lord Srinivasan and Goddess Lakshmi and rituals are based on tht...
Divya said…
Sujit>>yeah...soo beautiful right?
I had to read it twice and some of the verses thrice to get the pronounciation right. Its a pain in the neck to write Tamil words in English, worse than reading them. And for someone like me who si very particular about the way tamil words are pronounced, it was a loooong post. But it was fun, entertaining and insightful. Good job!
Divya said…
Gokul>>yeah, writing tamil in english is something not so nice...i shd learn how to post in tamil though....and thx...

Popular posts from this blog

Lokmanya Tilak and a young couple

Date :Sometime in December 2005 Time :11:00 Pm Place: Aboard the Lokmanya Tilak Kurla Express train Once when I was travelling back to Cbe, this happened. I was alloted a side upper berth....Nearby there was a young newly wed couple...ONe of their seats was right under me...and the other was in the adjacent bay, side lower. When I was about to start to the slumberland...that newly wed guy told me, "i dont have my mobile now, could you please keep an alarm in your mobile for 3:00 AM and wake us up..We have to get off at Salem" "Ya, OK..no probs...", I told. And the wife slept in the side lower under my berth and the hubby in the adjacent bay... At 3:00AM, my mobile Sang its "we will rock you"..I promptly woke...Tried to reach the girl from my berth itself and wake her..It wasn't possible...So i got down, woke that girl up..and went back to my berth... I kinda lost my sleep. I heard the girl getting up and waking her hubby...he told, "Salem is half ...

Musings and a bad movie

Hi all... I was thinking about something today.When I go out on my own or with my friends in crowdy places, I find myself kinda on an alert mode. You can see all sort of guys trying to hit on you(physically), a brief grope or a little brush on your side. So I always have my fists clenched ready to attack if any nuisance arises. And I have blown punches a couple of times too. Am not a martial arts expert, but in a crowdy place, just showing your courage in a small way can take a guy off guards and make him run away. They just hope that the girl would not rise a hue and cry over a thing like this, which they might think as a very small insignificant act. But when they see a vehement protest coming, they just back off, not wanting to involve in any sort of trouble. But, when I go out with my parents, I have never encountered anyone trying to make a pass. Being with parents is kinda a shield. I can be myself, carefree. I was just wondering why are some guys programmed this cheap? I saw a m...

Which of the following do I read?

Hi all.. Last I was starving for some good book to read..Was vetti too...But I dint get one. Now I got work to do. But there has been a flood of books, which one shall i read first? --------->God Father-Mario Puzo --------->If Tomorrow Comes-Sidney Sheldon --------->The Brethren-John Grisham --------->Love in the Time of Cholera-Gabriel Garcia Marquez My personal Choice is God father...What say?