The inauguration was done by our friends Aarthi, her mom-in-law and Prathiba with a yummy Chocolate cake over the last weekend.
Today was my first solo experiment, trying to bake bread. The recipe I used was from a personal finance blog :) Trent@TheSimpleDollar has this popular post Homemade Bread: Cheap, Delicious, Healthy, and Easier Than You Think. Followed the steps quite religiously and here is the outcome:
Looks good to me, and the house smells so delicious right now. I hope it tastes good too :-p
My take from this first time bread making:
- The effort required is not huge at all. Totally I spent about half an hour in activating the yeast, preparing the dough, kneading it, punching it down, preparing the oven, etc.
- But the process takes long time, about 3 hours, though your attention is required only for about half an hour.
- Your kitchen work top can get messy, so some cleaning is necessary afterwards.
- If you can buy yeast in bulk, and not the sachets which I bought (3 sachets for $3.5), it might be more economical to make bread at home regularly.
- Just to get the aroma lingering around is worth making the bread!